Military connectors are a special category of connectors, which have higher requirements for products. So what is the role and status of the military connector? In the following text, Desso Electronics engineers will focus on introducing you to the role and status of the military connector.
Desso engineers pointed out that in military weaponry and various electronic systems, connectors are essential basic components for connecting devices and components, components and stand-alone, stand-alone and stand-alone, systems and systems. In military weapons and equipment such as aviation, aerospace, weapons, and naval vessels, it plays an important role in the transmission of energy and signals through electrical connections.
Military connectors are the most commonly used electronic components that make up aircraft, missiles, ships and other weapon systems. For example, a modern fighter plane uses a cable length of 5 to 10 kilometers, and there are about 800 to more than 1,000 electrical connectors that are matched at a time. The total cable length of a large passenger aircraft is 250 kilometers, and more than 4,500 electrical connectors are provided at a time. Its main function is to complete the electrical connection between the host, engine, on-board control system and on-board equipment. The seekers, warheads, engines, autopilots and other key components of various types of tactical missiles all use connectors as a basic component to form a complete weapon system with hundreds of thousands of contact points. The eye-catching Shenzhou spacecraft uses more than 500 sets of various connectors only for the propulsion compartment and power supply system, and more than 400 sets of various electrical connectors are used for a certain type of tactical missile only for ground equipment. In all the connectors that make up the military equipment system, as long as any one of the connectors fails, it may cause the paralysis, failure, and major accidents of the entire system.
Among all the electronic components that make up the military equipment system, the connector seems to have a simple structure, and often does not get the attention of leaders and related parties, but its failure probability is the highest. According to relevant statistics, the failure probability of connectors accounts for about 40-50% of the total number of failure cases of electronic components that make up the system. Interconnection issues are one of the main reasons for the failure of most military electronic equipment. It is often the connection point, wire termination point, or contact interface that fails first. It is generally believed that there are three normal failure modes of connectors: open circuit (probability 61%); poor contact (instant open circuit) (probability 23%); short circuit (probability 16%). Due to its relatively complex structure, special function (separable electrical connection) and the influence of many abnormal factors, it is difficult to accurately quantify the failure rate of the electrical connector, and it has become the only electronic component that has not classified the failure rate level so far.
Military connectors are different from connectors for other purposes in that they must adapt to various complex and harsh working environment conditions. Generally require a wide operating temperature range -55℃～125℃ or even -65℃～200℃ to adapt to various military environments and military occasions; corrosion resistance, moisture resistance, high impact and vibration resistance, high and low temperature alternating, Low air pressure, vacuum degassing of insulating materials, high air-tightness, anti-corona, anti-sand dust and anti-mold, etc.; must have low and stable contact resistance and low voltage standing wave ratio to ensure that the electrical signal is not interrupted; Strict manufacturing and processing and assembly precision, solid and reliable structure, and can withstand high-level tests. To meet these requirements, it is essential that military connectors must adopt a reliable design, correctly and reasonably select materials, and a well-developed process to ensure that the connectors meet military standards.
It can be seen that designers are familiar with the application status and development trend of military electrical connectors, which is of great significance for the accurate and reasonable selection of connectors when designing military equipment systems, sub-systems or stand-alone units.